The Perfect Pea Soup

It's storming outside and there are mosquitoes suctioned against the window, wishing they could get a bite out of me (hah! they wish.)....

It's storming outside and there are mosquitoes suctioned against the window, wishing they could get a bite out of me (hah! they wish.). I'm sitting here safe, dry and satisfied from a bowl of the most soothing homemade pea soup. It sure beat the hell out of the Campbell's stuff I spit out at age five.

Beth, a dear friend of mine, made it last week and put it in the freezer. I just took it out, defrosted it, and enjoyed some by myself at the dining room table. It was her mom's recipe. No funny or nostalgic story about it. Just the soup. Plain and simple.

I swirled my spoon; it was the exact color of the Green-Yellow Crayola crayon, thick and silky from the pureed peas with little salty, chewy, delicate bites of Carnation Pink ham and soft Vivid Orange carrots cut into tiny rounds.

A simple work of art. Humble and comforting.

I don't know why, but each bite made me think of my childhood--of mom feeding me warm soup, of me drawing pictures on construction paper and scribbling with crayon on the bias until the entire side wore down to the wrapper and my middle finger was squished and waxy from all my hard work.

I'll spare you the sappy sentimentality by venturing over to the kitchen so I can get a first-class view of the lightning show outside.

In the meantime, here's the pea soup recipe, just in case you're all alone on a rainy night and want, like me, to re-imagine the days of your innocence--when you had two teeth and felt the warm soup (or baby food) slide over your gums (NOT to ponder what it'll be like when you once again have no teeth and can only eat pureed food...we have good dentists nowadays, so that probably won't be an issue).


Bethy's Mom's Pea Soup

What You Need:
  • 2 bags green split peas
  • 1 white onion, diced
  • 2 russet potatoes (baking potatoes), diced
  • 1/2 lb. baby carrots, cut into small rounds
  • 1 ham bone, and any remaining pieces of non-fatty ham
  • Extra cubes of ham, if you want (leftover works best)
  • 8-10 cups of water
  • salt and pepper

What to do:
  • Soak split peas for 2 hours, then rinse
  • In a large soup pot, add the diced ingredients, the peas, the ham bone and the water
  • Boil everything together
  • Simmer for 4 hours

You can freeze this for up to 2 months, but trust me...it'll be gone before you can say, "Buon Appetite."

:) Holly

Related

Tasty Recipes 9054191629136497453

Post a Comment

...BUT AT LEAST MY HAIR STILL LOOKS GREAT!
item