Grease is the Word...Just for Today

(Photo courtesy of www.yelp.com) Rudy's Bar & Grill 203-865-1242 372 Elm Street New Haven, CT 06511 I was never a big fan of Fre...

(Photo courtesy of www.yelp.com)


Rudy's Bar & Grill
203-865-1242
372 Elm Street
New Haven, CT 06511


I was never a big fan of French fries. Until my friend dragged me to Rudy's Bar and Grill (a.k.a. Rudy's Restaurant). 

Located in downtown New Haven and frequented by Yale students, this low-key, jeans and t-shirt dive--whose vintage outdoor sign is missing the letter "n"--serves some fab fries, or as they call them, "authentic Belgian frites." 

My friend ordered some and tortured me by dangling one in front of my nose, triggering the memory and olfactory image of a Coney Island carnival. I said I'd only have a nibble, but a nibble led to a bite and a bite led to another fry. And another, and another. Before I knew it I was staring into a paper boat of golden-brown crumbs. But they were definitely worth the splurge. 

Oh yes, and I almost forgot to mention that we swirled a few of our fries in their specialty sauces--the mango mayo, pesto mayo and classic honey mustard, which rocked the house.   There were 15 dips on the list, ranging from spicy "Samurai" to parmesan Peppercorn. 

To wash 'em down, in addition to my Miller Light (me, the wine-o, drinking beer...go figure...) I took a sip of my friend's brew. My eyes practically popped out when I learned the name: Hoegaarden. But despite its humorous appellation, it had a pleasant lemony zing and wasn't as yeasty as certain others. And that's a good thing for those of us who haven't developed (and don't plan to develop) a taste for ale.

Along with the grub, the shabby features--the grungy firefighter hats that line the crest of the bar, the black, paint-chipped ceiling, the wonky wooden tables carved with initials of lovers and friends who undoubtedly enjoyed the chips n' beer as much as we did--make Rudy's the perfect Friday night chill-out hot spot.

*It's great for a first date, too.  


;) Holly

Related

Reviews 5802527065749909162

Post a Comment

...BUT AT LEAST MY HAIR STILL LOOKS GREAT!
item