Skip to main content

Brew It Yourself



(Photo courtesy of www.todaysseniorsnetwork.com)

Green tea, as you’ve probably heard from every doctor and nutritionist across the nation, is high in disease-fighting antioxidants and is used for everything from cancer prevention to weight loss. In this I-want-it-all-in-a-fingersnap society, we can find it ice cold in almost any vending machine.

In particular, the Lipton Company boasts that its Citrus Iced Green Tea is “full of clean taste, vitality, and great flavor” as well as “protective flavonoid antioxidants.”

They forgot to mention high fructose corn syrup, citric acid, sodium hexametaphosphate, ascorbic acid, phosphoric acid, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, calcium disodium edta, yellow 5, and blue 1.

Mmmm. Refreshing.

If you’re like me and don’t like to chug ingredients you can’t pronounce, read on.

There’s only one solution to the artificially flavored green tea problem: brew your own. It’s so easy, and it’s cheaper, fresher and healthier than the bottled stuff. It's even better than the diet powder packets you pour into water bottles.

Here’s what I do:

1. Boil 1 medium saucepan full of water

2. Add 2-3 bags of green tea and lower heat of stovetop (3 bags for stronger tea)

3. Steep for about 3 minutes


4. Add slices of oranges, lemons, (or whatever citrus fruit you have) and frozen berries to help chill the tea (and add an extra antioxidant boost)

5. Sweeten as desired with honey (or, if you are diabetic / avoid sugar, you might want to try Stevia, a natural sweetener sold in the organic sections of most supermarkets, and in the dietary supplement section of Whole Foods...I'll elaborate on this in another post)



My favorite add-ins are fresh orange slices and dried mint leaves (you can find them in the spice aisle of most supermarkets). These will be sure to wake you up if you’re feeling sluggish.

The combination of fresh fruit and fresh/dry herbs always puts me in a good mood.

I like to pour my freshly brewed tea (after it cools down) into empty water bottles and keep them in the fridge.






Try it!

Comments

JG said…
Your recipe looks good. However, I have never liked tea. The only tea I like is Snapple ice tea.
Teag said…
I love tea, especially green tea! I think it's at its best with honey... I enjoy reading all of your blog posts!!

Popular posts from this blog

This Shoe is for You: The Real Meaning of the Glass Slipper

One afternoon while at the dollar store, after trudging past the knockoff Oreos, bins of expired mascara and leftover Christmas decorations, I somehow found the party aisle. There's something about paper hats, kazoos, confetti and festive drink napkins that turns me into a giddy five-year-old and makes my troubles melt like icing on a hot cake.

Then I turned around, and there it was: the huge display of wedding stuff: everything from bobble-head brides and grooms to polyester rose bouquets and plastic toasting goblets--a smorgasbord of cheap inanimate objects. Yuck.

And that was when, still in the wedding section, I discovered a pack of plastic glass slippers. I doubt they were intended for people like me to place them around my apartment, wishing that someday, like Cinderella, the right guy would slip the right shoe on my foot.

Ever feel like that? Ever get trapped in the fantasy of a fairy tale, wishing and hoping and dreaming?
Well, I did. And I decided to buy two…

Good Eating and Drinking Habits from Artist Jill Seale

Photo credit: Jill Seale
There are times when we could all use some divine intervention in the kitchen. Thanks to Jill Seale, we can count our blessings.
A few years ago, Seale designed "Nun for the Road," a group of sassy sisters featured on dessert plates, coasters, napkins, cheese spreaders, hors d' oeuvre trays, notepads, magnets, aprons and tote bags. You can find them in houseware stores and on the internet.
This holy order includes sisters Mary Culinary, Mary Mesquite (with her spatula, in front of a smoking barbecue grill), and other rebellious ones (clenching their cocktails as if they were heaven-sent) such as Mary Martini, Mary Margarita, Mary Mai Tai, Mary Merlot, Mary Mimosa, Mary Manhattan and Mary Cosmopolitan.
There's even a Sister Mary Immaculate dish towel and soap dispenser!

Oh yeah, let's not forget the Sister Mary Menopause mug. What a great gift for the mom whose insults and hot flashes are neverending.
And now, Seale has a whole line of napkins…

Hold Me, Thrill Me, TEAse Me

While walking near Grand Central, I spotted this mannequin, clothed in Lipton tea bags. Astonishing, eh? All I 'gotta do is tell everyone in Midtown there's free tea and she'll be nude. Eek!

Well, that's the blogworthy photo of the day. Just thought you'd be interested.